Soapmaking recipes, cold process
1. Do not use aluminium containers. The soap and the pot will be ruined.
2. Treat sodium hydroxide with the utmost respect. It is a dangerous chemical.
3. It is ESSENTIAL to wear eye protection and gloves.
4. If you spill sodium hydroxide on your skin, it will sting. Flush with cold water until the stinging stops. Dabbing with vinegar or lemon juice helps too.
Plastic, glass or stainless steel pot or bowl
Stick blender (very useful and, after making a batch without one, you will say essential!)
Container to use as a mould
Baking paper to line mould (essential)
If you are going to make a habit of soapmaking, have utensils dedicated for that purpose.
Method for all cold-process soap recipes
1. Melt gently the solid oils.
2. Add the other oils and cool to 40 deg C.
3. Put on safety glasses and gloves. Add sodium hydroxide to COLD water. Don’t breathe in the fumes.
4. Cool to 40 deg C. Keep in a safe place away from people and animals.
5. Put on safety glasses and gloves. Add sodium hydroxide mixture to oils. Stir briskly until thick. A stick blender will shorten this process but don’t mix too fast. Stop and stir in the OFF position often.
6. Add essential oil. Stir until the soap is like thick porridge.
7. Pour into plastic container lined with baking paper. Must have that baking paper! Cover to keep warm for 24 hours.
8. Uncover, unmould and cut into bars.
9. Separate bars to dry for 3 weeks before using.
Variations: botanicals, dried flowers, colours, etc, can be used. Add these before the mixture becomes too thick and before adding the essential oil.
Everyday lavender soap450g coconut oil
450g olive oil
450g organic palm oil (palm shortening)
450g cold water
200g sodium hydroxide
50g lavender essential oil
No-palm CP soap with cocoa butter and beeswax500g pomace olive oil
150g RBD coconut oil
50g cocoa butter
114g sodium hydroxide
20g lemon essential oil
50g honey (add to the warm oils so it will melt)
Vegan CP soap with star anise oil400g pomace olive oil
190g avocado oil
160g RBD coconut oil
114g sodium hydroxide
20g star anise essential oil
Goat's milk soapUse one of the recipes above but replace half the water with goat's milk, eg, instead of 300g water, use 150g water and 150g goat's milk.