I spend a lot of time experimenting with different oils and DIY products on my face and occasionally, especially in Winter, realise I have totally overlooked the rest of my body.
As we start to move into Spring and the Winter track pants get switched for shorts I notice that my legs are looking dry and scaly. Very attractive. So I wanted to make something that would replenish hydration at the same time as not be too oily or sticky. Something that's going to slide on easily and absorb quickly so that I can throw it on as soon as I'm out of the shower and put my clothes on straight away. I've realised these are the requirements I have in order to "be bothered" with full body moisturising!
I used shea butter in this formulation for its moisturising properties and hyaluronic acid to elevate its hydration and really to lock in that moisture This can be used on body face and body, because who doesn't love a flexible product!
Hydrating Face/Body Cream Recipe
Makes 500g - use our Batch Size Calculator
and the percentages provided here to easily adjust the volume of your batch.
349g | 69.80% Water
30g | 6% Glycerin, certified organic
1g | 0.20% Sodium phytate (liquid
25g | 5% Emulsifier O
25g | 5% Shea butter, certified organic (I used unrefined
, you can also use refined
30g | 6% Carrier oil/s
(I used 15g (3%) Plum kernel oil, certified organic
and 15g (3%) Cherry kernel oil, certified organic
5g | 1% Stearic acid
25g | 5% Hyaluronic acid solution 1%
(or make your own with this RECIPE
5g | 1% Vitamin E, certified organic
5g | 1% Geogard 221
- Weigh out your ingredients for Phase A and Phase B separately.
- Heat both Phases separately to 75°C.
- Once both are at 75°C combine Phase B into Phase A.
- Blend with a stick blender to combine. The mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Let mixture cool to below 40°C then add Phase C and stir to combine.
- Weigh your mixture, it will have lost weight due to water evaporation, add enough water to bring it back up to 100% of its weight, in this case that's 500g.
- Cover and leave overnight, the mixture will reach its full thickness and be ready to package the following day.
- Pour into pot/s and you're done!
- Apply to face and/or body.
- Best time to apply to body is just out of the shower.
Follow us on Instagram
for more recipes, news and specials!