cold pressed, refined
Meadowfoam seed oil is rich in Vitamin E, and offers antioxidant activity. This activity makes this a good oil for use in anti-ageing aromatherapy applications and also helps make meadowfoam seed oil a highly stable oil with an indefinite shelf-life. It is odourless and virtually colourless and is a good all-purpose carrier oil.
Meadowfoam oil is widely used in cosmetic and hair care products because it is moisturising, extremely stable, and capable of adhering and staying on the skin.
When applied to the skin, it forms a moisture barrier and will assist the skin with preventing moisture loss.
It is a key ingredient in many different products such as massage oils and lotions, facial creams, sunblock, hair and scalp products, cosmetics, body lotions, and shaving creams.
In hair care products, it will add shine and moisture to the hair, and will remedy dry or damaged hair. When added to lotions and lip balms, it will remoisturise dry or cracked lips and skin, and will make balms last longer.
Meadowfoam oil has these beneficial characteristics:
• Moisturises the skin
• Rejuvenates and adds shine to hair
• Ultra-violet protection (sunscreen applications)
• Non-greasy feeling, soaks into the skin easily
• Reduces wrinkles and signs of ageing
• Blends well with other carrier oils
• Very stable, even under heat and air exposure
• Adheres well to the skin
• Binder, helps products retain their scent longer
• Stability extends product shelf-life when combined with less stable ingredients
Meadowfoam oil is also beneficial for our environment! It was first developed in the 1970s, and was introduced as an alternative to sperm whale oil in order to protect the species. The pressed seeds are fed to cattle and other livestock, and are a source of nutrients for these animals. While grown in the field, birds, insects, mice, etc, also eat the nutritious seeds. The meadowfoam plants themselves are a renewable crop, and are usually grown as a rotation crop for grass seed farmers. This eliminates the need to burn the fields in between grass seed plantings, and also provides farmers with additional income. Meadowfoam also requires less fertiliser and pesticides than most crops, assisting farmers and the environment.
All our products are for external use.
Recipe Light meadowfoam cream
26g meadowfoam oil
10g emulsifier O
2g Geogard 221
few drops essential oil
1. Heat Water Phase until 65°C.
2. Heat Oil Phase until melted, then cool to 65°C.
3. Combine the two phases and blend intermittently with a stick blender until thick.
4. Add Last Phase and blend in.
5. Spoon into pots.